Thursday, November 22, 2012

Travels 1: Turin & Nice

I hit a good stopping point with my internship in the nick of time and got the experimental setup running during my last day of work. As a result, I didn't have much time to plan the trip I was starting the next day. I went to the train station, got a Eurail pass that would allow me to travel in Italy, Spain, France, and Germany, and headed to Turin, my first destination.

I went the first day with Toyotaka, another intern from the same lab. We saw an a cappella concert that happened to be in a big square that night and went out to eat. The city was nice, and unique from most of the Italian cities that I had been to. I had been told it was the "most French, Italian city or the most Italian, French city" since it was close to the French boarder. The squares and gardens were different!



My favorite part of Turin during the two days I was there was the Museo Nazionale del Cinema. It was housed in this large building, which apparently had the highest roof in a museum. In the main room, there were reclining chairs that you could watch projected movie clips, and along the outer perimeter were sets, some of which also had movies playing in them. A a tower at the top that gave a panoramic view of the city.




On the way back to my room on one of the days there was random ball-room dancing in the streets. There always seemed to be something like this going on. I had also passed a couple of musicians playing Beatles songs that everybody seemed to like.


The most frustrating part of my three weeks of travel was figuring out how to use my Eurail pass. I spent about five hours in the main train station in Turin getting pointed from one office to another. I finally had to talk to a ticket salesperson in Italian about why I couldn't buy a ticket to Paris from Turin. Apparently Italian trains didn't run that far so I had to cross the French boarder and book a French train ticket there. The next morning I crossed over to Nice, France. 

Nice was a beach city in the south of France were people go to vacation. I was luckily able to book the very last ticket for a sleeper train from Nice to Paris that night, making it in time to meet friends there. I walked around with my backpack for the day to check out the city while I waited. 






The sleeper train was pretty comfortable. There were six beds in the room and it was much nicer than sleeping sitting up. I met a student from UC Riverside in my cabin and a Parisian that had traveled around the world on an airline pass that was similar to the Eurail Pass, but good for 20 stops around the world.

No comments: