Monday, August 25, 2008

DEECS


My pre-orientation program was Discover Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, or DEECS. It was a five day project to introduce incoming freshmen to the department. We made a lego robot, which was supposed to navigate a course. We used light sensors to keep it on track and adjusted it's course whenever it sensed it was going off the black line it had to follow. The goal was to turn off as many light sensors as possible in the fastest time. We had to soder wires and program the software, which was new to me. Our robot ultimately failed. It was a short run, but I think it was a strong while it lasted.


Although the video doesn't do the robot justice, it had some more impressive moments earlier on when we tested it. Overall it was a good experience. We toured some labs, I was fed, and I made some new friends.

No comments: