Saturday, July 14, 2012

Firenze pt. 2


The weekend after I went to Florence, I went to ... Florence!

April and her family were going to be in Italy for a week and this was the weekend I could meet up with them so I made the trek back down to the city for another day. I went around with her family so it was a nice change from running around trying to see as much as I can like I usually do.




This time, in Piazza della Signoria, there was a car show in addition to all the impressive statues. We also went into the entrance of Palazzo Vechio, a museum right next to the replica of David. I had passed it up before, so it was nice to see the decorated walls and ceiling.








We went and saw the Museo di Storia della Scienza. It was very different from the science museum in Boston since it housed many instruments that were from the Scientific Revolution. It was interesting to see the maps and globes from before and around Columbus's discovery of America, since people still hadn't gotten it correct yet. (Also, we staged this first picture with me looking up at a telescope since it seemed like it would be something that would be put on a flier for a science museum)

 


There was a big emphasis on Galileo, so much so that they even had two of his fingers (or the skeletons) on display in this glass case. Why they would put this in a museum, I'm not sure.


Finally, there was a temporary exhibit that had these illusions where weird shapes were constructed around this polished ball and it came out as a clear picture int the reflection. I thought it was cool.





No comments: