It was 10:30pm Sunday night when Lesley walked into Jose's room. She said we were catching the 2am bus from Boston to New York, which meant we had an hour and a half to get to the T before the last subway left. I ran to take a shower and get my bag ready.
Me, Jose, and Lesley had to sprint across campus in order to make it in time to catch the last subway to South Station, which is a terminal in the middle of Boston for a lot of the buses and trains. Our sleeping schedule doesn't have us go to bed until 3 or so in the morning, so it wasn't a problem traveling so late.
We took the Lucky Star Chinatown Bus. There had been a lot of talk about it throughout Interphase. Mainly about how legitimate it was. It was supposed to take you to New York for $1, which I thought was impossible, but supposedly you can get tickets that cheap if you are the first to buy them. We paid $15 each way since we bought them on the spot. We handed the chinaman our money and he handed us our tickets. The driver did not speak English. We were also dropped off in the middle of Chinatown at 5:30 in the morning. It added to the adventure.
I don't know why anyone would want to be in New York at 5:30 in the morning, let alone be awake, but we were. We took a quick detour through little Italy and found our way to the subway station to begin our day.
Lesley was our tour guide. She lives in Queens, so she showed Jose and I (also from California) around for our first New York experience. Our first stop was Grand Central Station. It was about the time people were going to work, so it was kind of busy, although it doesn't look it in the picture. They had some constellation stuff painted up on the ceiling, which was kind of hard to see.
We walked out the front doors and I caught my first view of the vertical New York landscape.
Central Park was the next stop, since most things weren't open by 7:30 in the morning. I had heard that it was big, but I still didn't understand how huge it was until I walked through it.
They had some cool statues strewn about the park. I took a picture with Alice in Wonderland.
This was the lake, which was covered in algae, but apparently you can row boats through it during certain seasons.
The Great Lawn
The Reservoir, which is a popular jogging track to run around
From here we took the subway to visit Harlem in search of some New York Pizza, which Lesley recommended
We were going to go to the Brooklyn Bridge after this. But with less than 3 hours of sleep on the bus ride to New York we were dozing off on the subway. It was only noon, so we decided to take a nap in Central Park. On our way, we came out in Columbus Circle, which was pretty cool. His statue was at the tip of a pillar, and Trump's hotel was there as well (the tall black building).
After a nap we hit up St. Patrick's Cathedral. I am always partial to big Catholic cathedrals.
Next was Rockefeller Center, where they place the big Christmas tree during the holidays, and also put up an ice rink. At the time it was just being used for a restaurant or something.
I snapped some random shots as we walked down 5th avenue.
Finally!! I was not ashamed to be a tourist and stop in the middle of the street to take my Time Square photo. I spent almost four hours on a bus to get here.
After a good 16 hours in New York it was time to head home on the last Lucky Star bus at 10pm. I had to be at my pre-orientation at 9 in the morning the next day.
We arrived back at 1:30 in the morning, then had to walk back from the middle of Boston since the subway had closed. We knew this would happen if we left on such a late bus, but had decided that seeing Time Square lit up was worth the walk. It was.
But this was just the first trip! We just hit up all the free things to do, to get a taste for the city. When I am able to stay longer, I hope to see a broadway show, watch a screening of Conan O'Brien (or David Letterman), and visit the Museum of Natural History. I will be back New York!
But this was just the first trip! We just hit up all the free things to do, to get a taste for the city. When I am able to stay longer, I hope to see a broadway show, watch a screening of Conan O'Brien (or David Letterman), and visit the Museum of Natural History. I will be back New York!
3 comments:
matt, it seems like you guys went all over! how awesome. i'm pretty envious of you right now, but it's all good. :)
Sounds like a fun trip...
The toy store was FAO Schwartz. They had one in Seattle, with a mini version of the piano keys because it was so popular after "Big" came out. It's pretty much awesome.
I finally read a bit of your blog dear matt =) NYC seems and looks really fun and then I remember I'm supposed to be reading about Adobe Dreamweaver and Catholicism... I hope you're having a good time at MIT.
Post a Comment