Saturday, July 5, 2008

Explosions in the Sky


Boston celebrates the Fourth of July bigger than anything I've seen before. The main event is a performance by the Boston Symphony amplified all along the Charles River followed by fireworks at 10:30. They also had some jets fly over head and fired off some cannons. Massachusetts Avenue and the Harvard Bridge was closed down as people lined up along the river and bridge to watch the fireworks, which were floating on a barge in the middle of the river. We watched from the MIT sailing pavilion, which was directly across from the barge.


The fireworks lasted pretty long, I tried taking the video of it but my camera started to lose battery and ran out of memory after 7 minutes of video since I've never deleted anything off it. I put of the short fireworks they did after the symphony finished Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. You can hear the sound thunder past us after they finish. It was pretty impressive to be right under the fireworks. The Boston skyline didn't hurt either. The head of the sailing pavilion told us beforehand the fireworks would shake your organs. The finale was a constant pounding on your chest as they shot off the rest of the fireworks. It was definitely an impressive show.

1 comment:

auntbetsy said...

Great pictures and video!