Saturday, July 12, 2008

Martha's Vineyard

Martha's Vineyard was the destination of our Saturday trip this week. Apparently it isn't a vineyard at all. It's an island, and a big tourist attraction in Massachusetts because of its summer weather and beaches. Sea captains and traders used to create estates on the island with their profits, but today its a summering locale visited by the Clintons, David Letterman, Tom Hanks, and other people. I think John F. Kennedy Jr. died there in a plane crash too.

We all headed out like zombies at 6:00 am in the morning for a two hour bus ride. After that we waited for awhile to get onto the ferry to the island.


After fourty-five minutes the island came into sight.


At first it wasn't too impressive. It was like a second rate beach town with too many cars squeezed onto the island. California beats out Massachusetts in the area of beach towns. People rode a lot of bikes around as well, and we saw the first carousel built in America. There were also tons of big funky houses that belonged to rich people. Some of the houses went for a couple million.



We went to go eat in the town. Bowl 2 of clam chowder down. Maybe I'll make a goal of 100. Nick and Matjaz came with us. Nick is my six foot six multi-variable calc teacher from Australia I mentioned once before. It was interesting to talk to Matjaz who is from Slovenia and now a post-doc in some fancy name for mathematics. We headed off the the beach after that.


Contact made with the Atlantic!

The beach was the best part. I didn't pass up the chance to double the count of oceans I've swam in. The sand wasn't as fine as California and had a lot of seashells and those smooth, colored type of rocks you find at Yosemite. The water was also twice as salty. Before we left we made Nick take a picture with us with his hat and sunglasses, which I think he regretted because he looked ridiculous. I knocked out on the ferry & bus ride back.

No comments: