Monday, June 23, 2008

Impressions Thus Far

The Calculus assessment went pretty well. I'm crossing my fingers for multi-variable calc, which is the third and highest level offered during the summer since I already learned the stuff from BC. I was able to at least fill out the entire test, so we will see how that goes. Ate some sushi, got our books, learned how to use the Athena computing network they have here. It was a pretty relaxed day, and tomorrow will be the last one of these as we test for Chem and Physics.

The adventure today was six of us trying to fight our way down Boston on a Target run. We had to walk across campus to Kendal station first, then figure out how to use the subway system. Chidee got $17 of change in dollar coins. Awesome. Then we packed into the subway like sardines because it was ridiculously crowded and jumped onto a free shuttle to the shopping center after waiting for like 30 minutes. Luckily the subway was pretty vacant on It rained on the way back as we were walking to the dorm.





The weather has been something new to me. I had not known what the combination of overcast and 80 degrees felt like before I came here. The humidity isn't as bad as it sounds. The air is only a little bit thicker, and its barely noticeable. I haven't seen sunshine in two days, but it honestly doesn't bother me since it's been pounding down on me since 1989. It rained a couple times today, but not like I've experienced before. It was warm and there was no wind. I enjoyed it, it was refreshing rather than an inconvenience. All the perks of playing in the rain without the freezing and pneumonia. Of course this is summer, so I don't really know what winter will be like. The man sitting next to me on the plane ride described the wind by the Charles in winter as "biting off your face". Solid.

Things still feel surreal. This time last year I would never had guessed I would be crossing Mass Ave. everyday during my summer. Seeing Boston across the river, the New England architecture, walking down the infinite corridor, and passing by these places I've seen in movies is hard to soak in fully. It's just interesting to be somewhere so different from what I've seen the last 18 years. The homesickness hasn't kicked in yet, but its only been 2 days. I'll admit a lot of it is due to the novelty of the situation, and my admiration of MIT.

No comments: